img_20170215_144824_hdr img_20170215_150845_hdr img_20170215_152118

Could not help myself, had to install the bench to see what it would look like.


Posted in Codename Idaho | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

a little less fail

Getting closer. The fourth iteration should net a close fit.



Posted in because race truck | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

She’ll be coming home!

Mary is making very good progress and she will be coming home this week!

img_20170203_082123_hdr img_20170203_082158_hdr img_20170203_082136_hdr img_20170203_082221_hdr img_20170209_080747 img_20170209_080731 img_20170209_080804 img_20170209_080902 img_20170209_080707

Posted in Codename Idaho | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

cardboard aided fail

Hi there.

I have not written anything about the race truck recently, because nothing happened.

I have been rolling around a few ideas for the front suspension in my head. Basically i have been “working” on concepts for a coil spring based suspension (like the stock ’05 Ram 1500) or a coilover based setup.

Both have serious problems i have to find a solution for before i start mocking stuff up.

With the coil springs, the location of the upper spring perch in relation to the frame is a problem.

The center of the spring locates about halfway up the frame but a whopping 6.3″ outboard!

Talk about one long lever trying to twist the frame rail around. It’s about twice the distance the original spring perch center is away from the frame rail. I think i can come up with a solution to brace the spring perches against each other. Add some more gussets and it should be solid enough.

The coilovers only problem is – and i can’t find any info on how to do that – that i don’t know how to affix them to the LCA which has a coil spring perch.

Both have in common that parts will have to be fabricated and i don’t know if i can actually get approval from technical authorities for that.

Somehow i decided that i want to try to build a mockup coil spring perch to see where that will take me.

Apparently, i had some misconceptions about the design. This is fail no. 2. Well it tought me some things so it is not a total fail but i got some measurements wrong that led to this construction. It locates the spring 40mm too far inboard. Bummer.


The metal spring perch you can see there is the spring perch cut from a ’05 Ram 1500s frame.

It will be welded to the underside of the rounded shape on top of the custom spring perch.

Posted in because race truck | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Messing with my head…

This suspension stuff is really messing with my head. Still no 100% solution for the coil spring bucket.

The string seen in the picture is about 1″ from the center of the LCA coil bucket and its perpendicular to the floor.

At ride height the LCA coil bucket has about 8deg if inclination leaning towards centerline.

At least the wheel is centered in the wheel arch and we are getting somewhere:


Posted in because race truck | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Full speed ahead

The truck has been liberated from the doors and hood and the first coat of filler is on the shell.

img_20170127_093902 img_20170127_093913 img_20170127_093923

Same goes for the doors, wiper cowl panel and hood.

img_20170127_094142 img_20170127_094155 img_20170127_094427 img_20170127_094516

Posted in Codename Idaho | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

You made your bed…

… now sleep in it 😉


Please ignore that fat finger on the left…

img_20170120_105021 img_20170120_105029

Posted in Codename Idaho | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment